About Me

My photo
This, friends, is my attempt at a photo-a-day blog. Here is my life, in a series of pictures, a few comments, and some blog entries. I began this journey on January 1, 2010. And here, it continues...

My Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, June 13, 2011

#164/365--Facing the Fear, or What Used to be 23 on My List of 40

When I was younger, roller coasters were no big thing for me. I loved them. Steep hills, dips, twists, turns, corkscrews, flips, speedy drops. At some point in my life, I developed a fear of them. If I had to look at a timeline, I might say somewhere right around when I had my kids would be about the time this phobia developed. Odd, right? Maybe. Maybe not.

I could wax psychoanalytical right now and tell you how as a young teen, I didn't realize my capacity for death, I thought I'd live forever, as most young people do. When I became responsible for two lives, and as an adult, realizing how dangerous coasters can be...focusing on the freak accidents that have happened...caused me to become leery of the monsterous machines.

I could explain here that the longer I stayed away from coasters, the more fear and anxiety developed. I would also explain that perhaps, as my children got older, and began riding these coasters and thrill rides themselves, that perhaps I felt more in control of the situation on the ground, as opposed to up in the air with them.

This year, my fortieth, I have decided to attempt to gain some control over this fear. Coasters was on my list of 40 things to do before I turn 40, but I recently took it off in order to add something I've never done before (which was to play BINGO--also not quite as thrilling). Today, we used our Six Flags passes and rode some of the rides that scare me a little. This will probably take a few different posts due to long lines and limited time. Even though it isn't on my list anymore, I'm still attempting to ride all the coasters at Six Flags. ((Maybe I feel a little guilty, also, for taking it off the list))...

Today I rode the Titan (twice!)...


...and Batman...

This one was my favorite of the day!! I got to take my flips off and dangle my feet in the air!
We rode some other rides also, but these were two of the main rides that cause anxiety for me.
Next time around, I'll ride the New Texas Giant. Yes, I wimped out this time, but I'll tell ya, no sooner had the kids run to get in line than I changed my mind and wanted to ride. But the line on that baby was at least an hour long! Saving it for next time...
Don't believe me? Just you wait...
I have these darlings pushing me!




1 comment:

  1. I will only ride the batman..... It doesn't scare me as much as the others and your stomach doesn't drop! I'm glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete