About Me

My photo
This, friends, is my attempt at a photo-a-day blog. Here is my life, in a series of pictures, a few comments, and some blog entries. I began this journey on January 1, 2010. And here, it continues...

My Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, March 19, 2011

#78/365--It is Well

My flowerbed began like this...

...and it stayed that way for about 4 years (minus the snow, it's the only pic I could find).  Then, my mom ripped the shrubs out.  That's because they were big and in the way and full of wasp nests.  So for about 6 months, the little square was empty, save the cute
"frog/Welcome" stone that I placed in the middle.
Time went by.  And the weeds began to grow.
I thought about waxing metaphorical--how "weeds" can grow in your heart...things like bitterness, anger, resentment, jealousy, gossip, pride...about how I've felt a little "weedy" lately.  I'll save you the drama.  It was very therapeutic today to get out there and dig, whack, chop, cut, and pull all those weeds.  I even named a few of them (see the above list). 
When I got to the planting process, I began to name the plants and flowers, as well...things like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, self control (See Gal. 5:22)
...and finally...
I'm pretty happy with the final product.  I don't normally...
...wait...let me rephrase...
I have NEVER gardened before in my life.  I've grown seeds in plastic bags with kindergarteners, and I've pulled weeds before...but I've never gardened.  It was surprisingly relaxing to me.  AND...I didn't come across any bugs or spiders, thanks to another Gardener I know.  He understood that I needed a little time with Him sorting out my life--I think He gets that sometimes it's easier to do "metaphorically."

3 comments:

  1. Very nice. Now just nurture those flowers, metaphorically and for real. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Janelle! Glad it was theraputic for you! And also glad you didn't come across any creep crawlies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your blog - metaphors...
    beautiful...

    ReplyDelete