About Me

My photo
This, friends, is my attempt at a photo-a-day blog. Here is my life, in a series of pictures, a few comments, and some blog entries. I began this journey on January 1, 2010. And here, it continues...

My Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

#40/365--The Leader of the Band

((My dad, a teacher through and through. 
Not the leader of any musical grouping...but in metaphorical terms,
the leader of our familial "band."))


The leader of the band is tired
And his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs thru' my instrument
And his song is in my soul

My life has been a poor attempt
To imitate the man

I'm just a living legacy
To the leader of the band

I thank you for the music
And your stories of the road
I thank you for the freedom
When it came my time to go
I thank you for the kindness
And the times when you got tough
And Papa I don't think I said
"I love you" near enough.

(Dan Fogelberg, 1982; Song #76 in my playlist)
...in great memory of my dad, Dr. Joshua L. Leamon, 1938-2007...
Psychology professor and Psychologist
Bowler
Wearer of the Flat Cap
Toothpick Sucker
Fried bologna/taters Eater
Sweet-tooth Haver
Money Saver
Generous Giver
Master of hugs and homemade malts
Expert Storyteller
Caller of balls and strikes
Scratchy stubble face
Handsome
Wise
Quiet and Introspective
So Much More
Husband to Dawn
Father, Daddy, Advisor to Erik and Janelle
Pappy.
You are missed beyond measure.
May I grow into the parent and teacher that you were.


4 comments:

  1. This is so sweet Janelle! Now I'm in tears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad is so proud of the parent you are and with him watching over you, you are sure to continue. What a great tribute - incredibly sweet and thoughtful. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful...I teared up just reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so blessed by you... your warm, loving thoughts on your special dad it touched my soul. It makes my heart sing knowing you, I'm honored I had the pleasure to meet your dad.

    ReplyDelete